[Noisebridge-discuss] reasoning about the kitchen

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 22:07:50 UTC 2014

Here is how I came to the conclusion that we should issue an ultimatum
for cleaning up the kichen.

(I don't care how we got to the situation we're in, and none of the
following should be read as implying blame.)

Read each point as a statement of fact, but please debate me on
individual points if they seem incorrect.

1. Noisebridge's core mission has nothing whatsoever to do with the
presence of a kitchen.

2. The kitchen has been stochastically maintained whilst being nearly
constantly used.

3. The usage of the kitchen has been largely by those who don't
understand the health hazards of misusing a shared community kitchen.

(again: please don't read blame into these statements. it doesn't
matter "who", it only matters "what".)

4. Because of (2) and (3), the kitchen has become a health hazard.
(Many health hazards: mold, vermin, cross-contamination, etc)

5. There are many people who love having a kitchen.

6. There are many people who dislike or don't care about having a kitchen.

7. Those belonging to (6) mostly want to see the kitchen removed.

8. Those belonging to (5) mostly want to keep the kitchen.

9. Health hazards are Bad.  Like, "harassment" Bad.  Like, someone
could get a bad disease Bad.

ERGO, in the spirit of do-ocracy:

10. Those belonging to (5) ought to be putting work into making the
kitchen NOT a health hazard.  The onus falls on the group who uses the
space to do something about it.

11. Those belonging to (5) have thus far not shown initiative in
protecting the resource.

ERGO, in the spirit of do-ocracy:

12. Those belonging to (6) ought to incentivize those belonging to (5)
to hurry up and do something about it.

OK, does that make sense?

This isn't about any authority trying to step in and "punish" people.

This is about making it clear that if people want a thing to exist at
Noisebridge -- particular one that is fairly peripheral to what
Noisebridge is about -- they should take care of it.

I have suggested that this group form a "kitchen working group" to sort it out.

If it can't be sorted out, I don't think it's unreasonable for those
who don't care about having a kitchen but are worried about the health
hazards of the kitchen to do-ocratically dismantle it.

Thanks for reading.

--Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most