[Noisebridge-discuss] Google Glass at the space?

Gregory Dillon gregorydillon at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:55:27 UTC 2014

People are bringing up legitimate concerns, which I share.   But I'd also
like to experience and understand what Glass does myself, by actually using
it, rather then just reading about it.

On a related note, there are reports of pair of Google glasses being
snatched from a 20 year old reporters face and destroyed at 16th and
Mission in today's feeds.

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:18 AM, rachel lyra hospodar
<rachelyra at gmail.com>wrote:

> One thing worth pointing out is that the original poster seems to believe
> that the only people who wouldn't want to be recorded would be
> ne'er-do-wells, and they wouldn't want to be recorded simply because it
> would reveal their crimes. The poster further offers the reassurance, much
> like the assurances offered by the backscatter scanning security theatre
> farce, that the recordings will be deleted.
>
> There are many citizens of Noisebridge community who, for entirely
> legitimate reasons, would prefer to never be recorded in the first place.
> This is entirely reasonable and has always been part of our culture. We run
> a large internet-use-anonymization node, as an example. I've even gone so
> far as to describe an earlier era of Noisebridge as being 'a bunch of
> privacy freaks'.
>
> It's pretty hasty and disrespectful to assume that "if the video doesn't
> show you stealing we promise to delete it" covers these legitimate concerns.
>
> If the idea is instead to arm redshirts with the ability to instantly
> record crimes that are happening, it's a bad idea, and if someone really
> wanted to do it anyway they could do it way cheaper and way more
> effectively by ordering pendant cameras developed for law enforcement for
> this purpose.
>
> If the idea is to get some glass for hacking, this could be started as a
> glass hole hack class and the teacher could bring them to the class, no
> need to make everyone deal with them all the time & create a secure locker
> that Approved Ultra Elite Members can somehow access when we've never even
> successfully done this for far more needful things, like arduinos.
>
> R.
>  On Apr 13, 2014 8:45 PM, "Adrian Chadd" <adrian.chadd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13 April 2014 20:14, Norman Bradley <pryankster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I am very opposed to this. As was pointed out who has control of the
>> > recordings? Google?  Google already knows to much and with photo
>> matching
>> > software they will know MUCH more.
>>
>> Being pedantic, because I'm good at that - You can use glass without
>> recording anything. Much the same as modern day cellphones or laptops.
>>
>> I think Alfred's idea wasn't to have them available for people to
>> record 24/7, but to turn on to record outbursts of actively negative
>> behaviour that is currently going on. I can do that with my laptop,
>> tablet or cellphone right now
>>

>> -a

Let's stay in touch.  Greg