[Noisebridge-discuss] Google Glass at the space?

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 18:51:01 UTC 2014

I really appreciate this thoughtful discussion. Someone at sudo room
also brought up the prospect of banning Glass last week, largely
inspired by the following tweet:
"Someone wearing (what looks like) Google glass feels comfortable at
@sudoroom, and suddenly i don't. @TPSBayArea"
...indicating this is also a matter of folks feeling safe at the space,
a high priority for sudo.

+1 to rachel's point on how legitimizing recording as "well, if you
have nothing to hide" is fucked up and prioritizes those who are
privileged enough to not be a target of the state. A class or a
workshop on Glass and its capabilities would be awesome, though, and
would probably serve to reduce the misconceptions and social stigma
surrounding these devices. It's so new that social norms haven't been
established around it yet. I personally feel uncomfortable talking with
someone wearing Glass, but that's largely because it's a) alien,
foreign, new, and b) I can't be sure they're paying attention to me.
However, I also feel uncomfortable asking folks to remove their Glass
when in conversation with me, because so many Glass-wearers get
defensive - assuming I'm being prejudiced against them for wearing
Glass. This is an understandable reaction given the strong movement
against Glass, including violence and assault.

However, unlike using smartphones in social interactions or reading
books at the dinner table, you can't tell what a person is looking at
when they're wearing Glass. I hope to encourage the norm of removing
Glass when engaging in conversation with someone, so I don't have to
ask - but it will probably take regularly asking to create that norm :)

- --
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://sudomesh.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org
http://technomadic.tumblr.com

- -Laurie Anderson

"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining
it."
 -Hannah Arendt

- -Stéphane Mallarmé