[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: how Noisebridge could improve

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 17:35:42 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I notice that in this thread a Very Creepy Person is mentioned over and
over but not by name.

I understand and respect the desire not to needlessly drag someone's name
around on a publicly archived list but I do think it's important, if
someone is banned, that we publicly name them, in order to maintain the ban.

One feature of an organic system is that its components must be reinforced
or they fade away. Do we have a rogues' gallery of predatory offenders? Is
it maintained every time a new ban put is in place? This, as a wiki page,
sounds like an administrative overhead that would not be consistently
fulfilled, tbh. In general I think that this rogues gallery is maintained
in the public consciousness, where we all remember that there are
creepazoids, and if someone is creepy we mentally reference them against
past creepazoids before declaring "hey Rob2.0 is back and sleeping on the
roof again" or else "hey a new creepy stranger is using the roof for a date
spot".  when we talk about things I would prefer if we used a name or if
preferred handle so that we can maintain the database in our heads. These
stories are of value to me when there is a way for them to be related to
the perpetrator. Otherwise it's just like the feces I cleaned from the sink
that time, or the dental dam I found in the bathroom during a party... just
another piece of icky trash clogging up the tubes, not helping anyone with
anything, not even disposed of properly.

Creepy felons shouldn't get name protection at the expense of our Creep
Defense System's being able to identify them. The bay area tech scene is
quite small, and someone who is banned from Noisebridge is still likely to
be encountered by those of our denizens who manage to live here and also
leave their house.

R.