[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: how Noisebridge could improve

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 23:01:50 UTC 2014

Thanks!

Once I was talking (I think on here) about the way that Jesse z assaulted
someone at Noisebridge, and found myself using tortured sentence
constructions to avoid naming Jesse while freely naming the person he
assaulted. This was a learning experience for me, as I came to realize as I
was doing it how backwards it was. I think that it's interesting to examine
my own psychology around this shift, and offer my own behavior as an
example of the ways society reinforces victim blaming, and so conversely
suggesting a way to actively dismantle victim-blaming.

It is important to name the perpetrator, and protect the victim's identity
where possible.

When you say that naming a person summons them, it is neurologically true.
The way that memory works, naming a person evokes them within your mind,
bringing up a sense/memory impression of them - so it makes sense to want
to avoid this. I think that by evoking memories in more distant terms they
probably seem more manageable & less stress-inducing. It's a strategy, but
there are other strategies.

This is interesting to me to in part because of how it illuminates one of
the reasons folks often don't report harassment - because they don't want
their name to be associated with such a negative thing, because often the
harassed are dragged through the mud once they report. Any mechanism
designed to deal with harassment needs to address these realities in order
to function.

--blink blink--

Wow, are we having a grown-up conversation?

--blink blink--
You're right, Rachel and Liz and Lupita; I'm not sure what my
hesitation was.  Sometimes it feels like naming a person is a way to
summon them back.

--Naomi

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Liz Henry <lizhenry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, the redshirt guy's name? That was Joseph Adam Moore aka Adam, twitter
> handle @dielaughing.
>
> He is in the sex offender database for some sort of crime involving a
minor
> under 14. Domestic violence, harassment, stalking.   If you do an image
> search you can find photos of him from his social media profiles as well
as
> past arrest records.
>
> I think people don't use his name all that often because he has a clear
> history of violence and litigiousness.  But it's important to name folks
> like this so that we have some institutional memory of already having
> figured out their ways of manipulating people and entire communities.
>
> Here is the SF court search page:
> http://www.sfsuperiorcourt.org/online-services
> Then go to "Name Search Query"
> Then enter "Moore, Joseph" and take a look at the civil cases listed for
> Joseph Adam Moore.
> Take a look at APP-13-007554, then at "SUPPLEMENTAL TO PETITION FOR WRIT
OF

rachelyra at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Any list like this needs context, links, or data on the incidents to be
>> useful. There is for me some difference between 'convicted of felony
>> assault' and 'emailed tom a lot'.

Naomi Theora Most
naomi at nthmost.com
+1-415-728-7490