[Noisebridge-discuss] proposal to revert to Member / associate member structure

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 21:55:31 UTC 2014

As discussed last night at the meeting, a consensus item to repeal
"council membership" and to revert to having associate members along
with Members

Btw, I'm just going to start capitalizing Members all the time,
because even though we now have "council members", people still say
"capital-M members" to disambiguate the two forms of membership.

And that, in a nutshell, is what this proposal is about.

Associate membership, just based on observed tendency for people to
use the term, has achieved a lot of buy-in since it was introduced in
November.

It achieved so much buy-in that even now, people don't say, "council
members and members", they say, "I'm just an associate member or
whatever it is we have these days..."

Meanwhile, the concept of "Council membership" hasn't encouraged any
improvement in anyone's outlook or behavior.  What it has done is
encourage self-righteous busybodies like Robin Noelle to grow their
heads a size bigger.

The consensus item in question has been added to the wiki.

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items

It's up for Consensus at the next meeting.

--Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most
naomi at nthmost.com