[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge as "facility"

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 20:17:39 UTC 2014

On 4/29/2014 10:15:54 AM, "Naomi Most" <pnaomi at gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm using the word "facility" in the same sense of a library, where
>people can expect to read books and use computers, which are maintained
>by people whose job it is to maintain the computers.

Yes! But the "responsible people" are all the members and users of the
space. The responsibility should shared by the community.

>"Hackerspace", on the other hand, does not (to me) imply a guaranteed
>set of services -- only a smattering of tools and a space to use them
>in.

then you should add "a smattering of broken, dysfunctional tools and
piles upon piles of disorganized junk."

>As for your quote: it doesn't matter what's written down. It matters
>what people do and believe.

We should make what's written down matter, so that what people do and
expect and believe are based on shared goals and values. Currently, NB
suffers from CONFLICTING goals and values. If NB is going to be "only a
smattering of tools and a space to use them in" then FINE-- but let's
all get on the same page about that. Currently, we are NOT all on the
same page about that.

>If Noisebridge were to be accepted by all as being a "facility"... We
>would start naming people as responsible for maintenance

YES. And those "people" are all of us, not some paid staffr. Why can't
we say "if you are going to use Noisebridge, then you are expected to
share the responsibility for maintenance."

Currently, we say "you can use Noisebridge, break tools, and leave a
mess, and that's ok." This seems self-destructive to the space, and
disrespectful to the few who willingly take responsibility and clean up
after others.

>and then we would probably pick schedules for those people to be
>on-hand at certain times.

YES. If you're a user of the space, you should be required to sign up
for X volunteer hours per Y months.

>I'm having the discussion because it needs to be had.

Thank you, Naomi!