[Noisebridge-discuss] better tech for making decisions

Xavier Aubuchon-Mendoza xavieram at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:11:11 UTC 2014

I was present for this discussion, but don't concur with one aspect of
Naomi's summation of it:

--
So rather than talk about a new voting method, which would entail the
same above problems, we talked about ways to get greater participation

* Internal to Noisebridge (so, NOT the nb-discuss list).

* Secure (reasonably protected from surveillance by unwanted parties)
--

It was mentioned that we thought people should be free to use whatever
uniquely identifiable and verifiable as a member identifier that they might

However, keeping those messages secure from surveillance wasn't something I
recall being brought up, though I might not have heard it if it was.

What I do recall, however, was mention of the importance of transparency.
If there is a NB-members list for the purpose of examining proposals, I
think it is important that it be viewable by anybody as a matter of record.
This is particularly important given that not everybody is going to want to
sign up for the list, but I don't believe they should be deprived access to
reviewing the consensus process.

Regarding suggestions to make the core decision-making process resident on
some website or other electronic medium - I would caution against that. We
all love technology, but Noisebridge is a community of people based around
a physical location. There simply is no substitute for working things out
in person, with the people involved, in the space you are all connected to.

-Xavier