[Noisebridge-discuss] [hackerspaces] Failing/failed hackerspaces

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 05:53:47 UTC 2014

Hi to all,
This is an interesting discussion, definitely parts of it at least. I've been involved at Noisebridge before (with my dramas and glory :-)) and several other hackerspaces after, doing hacker tours, going to the congresses and camps (Europe - CCC, OHM) etc. for the last 5 years or so and great experience by the way.

I wonder when you talk about failing, would you consider being within that category if you do not open the doors to the people who wants to come but their resources are limited both from financial or "knowledge base" point of view, or both (at least at the beginning)? What I liked especially about Noisebridge and to my experience about C-base (and lately about InitLab), that these places seemed to me quite opened to new comers from both perspectives and yes and first two are "huge" places or communities if you like. I've experienced many smaller hackerspaces (small to medium size) which I loved but becoming a member or person with full access to the space was actually set many times to take quite a time (I know there are reasons for that) and you would have to be determined to get in, there were financial constrains in some cases too - like $100 membership per month etc.

For me I really value a place which is open to the people who want to come even for the first time at nearly any hour of the day. Many hackerspaces are closed for most of the day, which I partly see as a failure because the resources can not be used. In one case for example I've seen a place which would be "populated" just over the weekend and it was actually set to function in that way, it was actually more a privilege club than a hacerspace from my point of view. I have so far appreciated places which actively tried to improve the access and tryed to open their doors to as many people who are interested in as possible - sliding scale memberships, long opening hours etc. The most recent and to my experience well functioning experience was InitLab in Romania, Sofia,  (small to medium scale I would say) which seemed to me functioning well providing a lots of infrastructure involving people with knowledge and lets be honest the streets of Sofia do have a
 significant population of homeless or really poor people who during the cold winter months definitely don't mind some extra heat. I feel that the reason why the InitLab was open and functioning properly is the same which I have seen at Noisebridge around 2009 and 2010 - strong vibrant community which actively runs the place and sorts out the issues on the way whatever the underlying principles or "rules" for that may be. Being excellent to each other seems to function quite well under such circumstances, but you need community with strong social ties and people who are willing to put a lots of time into this, or social hacking if you like. Many "hardcore" hackers/people do not want to or can not put this energy and time in the social interaction and that is the time when the rules, closed doors, technological advancements, financial constrains and whatever else comes in. That is how I feel about it.

These were just few thoughts on the subject, if some of the European, Asian or whatever other continent based hacker folk could chip some knowledge and experience into this discussion that would be nice, the American experience is definitely valuable but one of the things which I like about this discuss so much is the "international and intercultural" community.

Sincerely from Jeju, South Korea,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org