[Noisebridge-discuss] Cooking in the space

Ceren Ercen ceren at ercen.com
Tue Apr 1 02:41:27 UTC 2014

"Meal hacking", my bulgeslurping ass.

People are simply taking advantage of a kitchen in a community space that
doesn't have the spine or coherence to shut them down. They are there
because they're preparing food for each other to eat, and they don't have a
rented kitchen that is willing to take on the liability for the public
meals. I'm sure they've taken advantage of plenty of other flustered
organizations who have felt squirmy in their pants about punting them out,
initially.
$50 says they don't really give a rat's ass about causing rats, or inviting
theft or foodservice-related liability to the space. You're being taken
advantage of, and calling it "meal hacking" is a sad attempt to play down
the insult of making you eat the cost of their responsibility dodging.

Even the jerk(s) who thought they were clever for bringing "liberated"
stolen groceries into the space to "donate" were closer to "hacking"
something. And I'd rather have seen them arrested than refused.

I was a huge proponent of a kitchen space because food sciences and odd
nutrient forms and strange cooking tools are neat, and social cohesion
often forms around a kitchen. Instead, it's now a majestic pile of neglect
and shining example of how gullible disinterested milquetoast nerds are
easily bullied into passive accommodators of opportunistic lolanarchists.

I'm really sad, but I'd say tear it down. Mount the countertop logo on the
wall for a spectacular clonk during the next miniquake. laugh sadly, stop
getting laughed at for this.