[Noisebridge-discuss] Cooking in the space

Gregory Dillon gregorydillon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 06:40:42 UTC 2014

Tonight was definitely an example when the kitchen usage was an extreme
problem.

I was in Jeffrey's class tonight, and like he said,  the burnt food smoke
and stink was so strong that my eyes were watery.  I felt like a headache
coming on and it made it difficult to pay attention in class.

I'm sure a lot of work went into building the kitchen, and so I do feel it
would be a shame to pull it out.    Maybe for a month or two the stove
could be disconnected and the lightweight kitchen items  be removed, and
only returned if the entire space can be stabilized.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Jeffrey Carl Faden
<jeffreyatw at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't believe Noisebridge needs a kitchen for that reason.
>
> People are messy and leave pots, pans, glasses, silverware, etc. all over
> the place. If, like many offices that have kitchens, it was professionally
> regularly cleaned, then maybe it would better serve people who are
> "hackers" (an impossible distinction to make). It's one thing for
> well-meaning people to use the kitchen and go back to doing what they were
> doing, it's another to get them to reliably clean it when done.
>
>  In the kitchen's current state, it only seems to be used by and for
> people who otherwise don't have access to kitchens for non-hacking
> purposes. I do not believe this benefits or furthers the cause of the
> space at all.
>
> Bring back the oyster mushroom shelves. Let's pickle some stuff that
> shouldn't be pickled. Skittle vodka. But since no one is jumping on some
> real opportunities, I think the space could be better used for
> non-food-related tools and projects.
>
> P.S. I taught my class around the corner from the kitchen this evening and
> someone burned the fuck out of
> some meat. It was smoky and smelled horrible. My students were visibly
> uncomfortable.
> Jeffrey
>

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 8:31 PM, spinach williams <
> spinach.williams at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 31, 2014 8:21 PM, "Al Sweigart" <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >the kitchen is sole cause of the huge rodent problem at Noisebridge, I
>> don't see why Noisebridge continues to have a full kitchen with stove.
>> (Actually, yes I do. Because consensus prevents any attempt to remove or
>> regulate it.
>> could be some folks like having a kitchen? folks dig cooking for
>> themselves to fuel their all day hacking rather than spending cash on
>> prepared meals? usually when i go, it's hackers using the kitchen, when
>> taking a needed break from their projects. why so eager to take away
>> people's say in the space, anyway?

Let's stay in touch.  Greg