[Noisebridge-discuss] Cooking in the space, update

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 20:58:45 UTC 2014

<RANT>
I got a couple of emails off-list questioning my judgment on this, so I
thought I would follow up with some other thoughts I had...

The other night, I was walking back from consensus in the cold downpouring
rain.  I could see my breath and I was soaked.  I know for east coasters,
this mild california weather is nothing, but the fact is, SF get's COLD.
It was COLD and WET.  I saw at least one person huddling in a corner trying
to stay dry.  I looked at him and remembered the times when I was that cold
and hungry and alone -- I was miserable, it was the worst lonliest feeling
in the world, and the only thing I wanted was to be in a warm place.

About a year and half ago I saw an email to nb-discuss from a young woman
who had come to SF recently and had no place to go for the night, and she
was escorted out in the middle of the night after being woken up from her
sleep.  She related that she was terrified of being out in the streets
alone at night in the mission.  I'll happily take the flak from many
noisebridgers to help someone stay warm on a cold rainy night.  To me,
being human is about finding ways to bend the rules and share resources for
human benefit.

You all are right, NB is not a homeless shelter.  I don't have all the
answers.  Maybe all of you are totally in the right that we should be
locking down.  We aren't equipped for it.  I'm not even necessarily arguing
on these points.  What I am saying is that people at noisebridge are
PEOPLE.  Everyone has feelings, everyone has needs, everyone needs to be
approach with, as James Sundquist just said - with dignity and conversation
and benefit of the doubt, and not dehumanized and stereotyped.  WHAT WOULD
MR ROGERS DO.

Or more importantly, how do we give everyone SLACK,

</RANT>