[Noisebridge-discuss] Hello. I think we a need a new Mission Statement.

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 22:59:01 UTC 2014

On Apr 5, 2014, at 9:13 PM, Naomi Most wrote:

> That's fine, but you guys are seeing this as an "either or".  It's
> really a "yes and".

A community mission statement needs the input and alignment of the
community.  But the community I think Noisebridge would like to have
is largely not participating right now, because they see Noisebridge
as an unsafe space.  Some have moved on to other hackerspaces.  Some,
like me, are software-only hackers who can work anywhere.  I
certainly didn't come to Noisebridge so I could get work done --
rather, I came to interact with other hackers.  (If I wanted to work
efficiently, I'd stay home instead of having conversations and demos.)

I recently attended a hacking event organized by people who live in
the Mission.  Although Noisebridge was an obvious venue candidate,
the event was instead held at the Internet Archive, substantially
less convenient travel-wise.  But the atmosphere was perfect, and as
a result of conversations I had there, I applied and joined their
staff.  *That* is what I'm looking for in a community space.

> The point of the Mission Statement is to clarify the goals of NB as an
> organization.  It will be easier, after a process of consenting to
> agree on a new Mission Statement, to agree on how to deal with
> subsidiary issues like that.

Noisebridge needs to make people like me want to come there and give
money, or it's going to die.

Josh