[Noisebridge-discuss] think bigger

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:52:19 UTC 2014

  On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Tom Lowenthal <me at tomlowenthal.com>
wrote:
 > When we're thinking about another activity, considering whether it's a
 > good fit for Noisebridge, the most important question we should ask
 > is:
 >
 >> "Does this enable or interfere with Noisebridge as place where
diverse sorts
 >> of people feel safe and comfortable working on and talking about
their technical-
 >> -creative projects.?"

i'm not sure if this is Tom's sentence. If this sentence intended as a
mission statement, some pluses and minuses:

plus- the word "enable" here is key. Safety is essential, but we don't
say somebody sitting in a corner reading comic books is an appropriate
activity for noisebridge, simply because it's non-threatening and
non-interfering. Sitting in a corner reading comic books does not ENABLE
nb to be a place to work on and talk about technical projects.

minus- the statement seems inadequate because, if someone is working on
a technical project, that does not "enable" either-- it might even
disable someone else from working on something, if they are occupying a
limit resource (and thus preventing someone else from using that
resource).

minus- Social hacking seems missing.