[Noisebridge-discuss] Cloning 900 netbooks?

girlgeek girlgeek at wt.net
Tue Apr 22 05:12:05 UTC 2014

How far along am I?  I haven't started.    When I showed up, 4 nice
young men were dutifully building them one by one with a Windows install
disk, a copy of Kaspersky antivirus, and no internet to do the initial
update of the virus definitions, and a deadline.  They made their
deadline, the computers went out to the users.

There are two groups of users; absolute neophytes some of whom I have
taught such exotic techniques as cntl+ c, cntl + v, to give you an idea
of what level I'm talking about.  Touch typing is an arcane art unknown
here.  The other group were more experienced, they still can't touch
type, but they know how to get on the internet and download browser
hijackers, useless background processes (many), and naturally, viruses.
It has not occurred to either group to update their virus definitions.
Though some notice that Kaspersky is sending them a message before they
click it closed.

I have now gotten the OK from my manager to clean everything up. These
netbooks are threatening a project that has nothing to do with
computers, it is a project to teach English.
Someone commented on the 900 number.  Also part of the project was
charging 14,000 cell phones and installing 14,000 SD cards on which we
had loaded 14,000 copies of a set of English lessons.  That was fun.

The phones were then sent to 14,000 teachers along with speakers so that
the teachers have audio lessons.  fyi, a primary school teacher has at
least a 12th grade education.  And, the education system went from
French to English in 2010 with a full 3 months to prepare.  So any
teacher has had most, if not all of their education in French.

Thank you for the advice.  I am going to research the various different
advice.  About the Clonezilla.  I have heard of it as a Linux based
program.  Can I use it since the netbooks and the server are all windows?

Thanks again for the help,
Claudia