[Noisebridge-discuss] study golang

Nick Owens mischief at 9.offblast.org
Sun Aug 24 05:13:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 06:58:17PM +0000, kjs wrote:
> I too have interest. I would like to see GoFY running on a NB terminal.
>
> http://gofy.cat-v.org/
>
> Mischief, what is this cat-v dot org?

cat-v.org is a website created by a great guy named uriel, who
unfortunately passed away much sooner than he should have.

it's mainly about unices, unix history, plan 9, inferno, and some other
topics uriel enjoyed. it's now maintained by stanley leiber.

gofy was a very early project to run Go on bare metal. however, it was
created in a time when the go language was changing rapidly, so it was
discontinued.

i forked a young gentleman's project on github that used gccgo to
compile go code for bare metal instead of the go gc compilers (which are
derived from inferno, which are derived from plan 9). unfortunately, you
couldn't do much because none of the gcc libraries were implemented, nor
the go libraries ported. so it was basically the go 'language' but not
the runtime or libraries. i started getting a small libc, libm, and some
other gcc crap to work but quickly realized it was a lot of effort to
hack together something suitable. there was a example of porting native
go to bare metal some time ago in the repo history, but i can't find it
now.

anyway, cat-v.org has a lot of great reading, and go is a fun language.

mischief