[Noisebridge-discuss] Bike generator or alternator?

Joseph Brenner doomvox at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 18:53:50 UTC 2014

Typically, a "generator" implies it's DC output, and an "alternator"
implies the output is AC.
To charge a battery, you need to "rectify" the output from an
alternator to fake DC, but
that's more efficient because you get to use the full cycle.

There's a bunch of other issues... you probably want a "deep discharge
marine/rv" battery--
and the last time I messed with this kind of thing, there was no good
substitute for Sears Die Hards--
and you'll want some sort of voltage regulator to keep from overcharging...

There's a bunch of web pages like this around that talk about this stuff:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-charge-a-12v-battery-with-an-exercise-bicycle