[Noisebridge-discuss] The Fibonnacci Library (call for materials donations & help) aka Golden Spiral Bookshelves

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:45:31 UTC 2014

Hello Noisebridge and friends,

As you may already be aware, in the post-Reboot world we lack -- and very
much need -- library shelving.

A lovely and spacious space has been set aside near the Fox Lounge for the
books, but shelving has remained elusive, especially in light of other
priorities.  Plus we cannibalized the old shelves for other construction in
the space.

---
TL;DR: if you can help provide lumber and/or help with construction, or if
you'd just like to see this thing exist and can contribute money, please
email me.  We'll be working on this in mid-January.
---

I believe that art has had a tremendously positive transformative impact on
Noisebridge, and I wish to continue that tradition by turning the library
construction into a work of art itself.

I propose the The Fibonacci Library aka Golden Spiral Bookshelves:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

Submitted for your approval, a collaborative design for the new library
shelves.

Scotty did the original sketchup, Steve derived the calculations.

According to our specs, we will need roughly the following:

** 60 feet of 1/2" thick, 15" wide boards
** 90 feet of 1" thick, 16" wide boards.

The cost for this library will vary widely depending on the materials we
have to work with.  I'd like to buy "real" wood, but cost may be
prohibitive.  I'd LOVE to build a library with a combo of found materials,
but that may make the project very difficult.

If you have advice about materials procurement and utilization, I'm all
sensory-organs.

If you want to help, let me know -- we'll start gathering our forces in
January after many of us get home from CCC.

Yours,
Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most