[Noisebridge-discuss] Tahoe-LAFS cryptoparty this Friday at 7pm

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 19:26:16 UTC 2014

Dear San Francisco Cypherpunks and Noisebridge community,

Announcing (sorry for short notice) upcoming Tahoe-LAFS cryptoparty:
on December 16th, 2014, Friday at 7pm @ → ♥Ⓐ Noisebridge!

Would you like to choose to not use privacy violating mainstream cloud storage mechanisms like Google Drive and Dropbox? Instead use anonymous end-to-end verifiable cryptographic storage... with RAID-like erasure-encoding/data redundancy. Let's do another Tahoe-LAFS cryptoparty! The last Tahoe-LAFS cryptoparty in Berlin several weeks ago was a great success and we took some notes to help you get started:

https://www.cryptoparty.in/tahoe-lafs

We'd prefer but do not require that people who use our anonymous storage grid (onion grid) would also contribute storage servers to the grid. This only requires a cheap (5 or 10 $/month) virtual private server... and intermediate (or beginner?) Linux sys admin skills. I can quickly show you how to use the grid to store and share files... and it also isn't very difficult to add a storage server to the grid for those that come prepared with ssh (w/ superuser) access to a server.

I created an entry for San Francisco in the cryptoparty.in wiki: https://www.cryptoparty.in/sanfrancisco
but I also posted info for this event on the Noisebridge wiki as well:

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Tahoe-LAFS_cryptoparty

What is an onion grid?

An onion grid is a Tahoe-LAFS storage grid which is only accessible via Tor hidden services. This allows the Tahoe storage node operator to hide the location/identity of their server(s). Using Tor hidden services also requires the Tahoe client accessing the grid to use Tor. Furthermore... in a few years when the Tor project deploys new Tor hidden services designs we will benefit from the additional security guarantees (Tor hidden services need some love).

What is Tahoe-LAFS?

Tahoe Least Authoratative File Store is a cryptographic distributed key value store with a "filesystem like" interface.

for more information, read:

project page:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs

and here's my favorite white paper about Tahoe-LAFS:
http://www.laser.dist.unige.it/Repository/IPI-1011/FileSystems/TahoeDFS.pdf

Best,
David Stainton
contact info == https://www.lumiere.net/~mrdavid/contact.txt