[Noisebridge-discuss] Associate Membership Extermination

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Dec 9 23:49:17 UTC 2014

and no thanks to me, for trying to improve the dismal state of community
that noisebridge is trapped in.

with the failure to understand Associate Membership, noisebridge has
embraced the time-tested strategy of offering membership only to those who
can pay, while assigning all others the status of guest or visitor.

this means that anyone who cares about noisebridge but doesn't have $40
per month to donate will continue to feel disempowered from confronting
unexcellent behavior, cleaning up out of a sense of ownership, or making
changes as part of doocratic participation.  Only the very most entitled
non-members will feel free to make their mark on noisebridge.

and moneyed hackers around the world will continue their absentee
membership, holding onto it as a status symbol while never setting foot in
the space.

it didn't work very well in the past, but fuck it, nobody remembers that.

-jake

Thank you!