[Noisebridge-discuss] Hands free car adapter circuit boards.

C. Honnet cedric at honnet.eu
Tue Feb 18 18:49:00 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd at gmail.com>wrote:

> Can you slurp the flash/eeprom data off via jtag or their programming
> interface?

We could try but I'm quite pessimistic, I think they protect it (I hope for
them!).

> If so, why not just replace the PIC with another of the same PIC but
> without the OTP fuse open?

My understanding of the project was that we have hundreds (thousands?) of
this board so it would be interesting to set up an quick&easy programming
system to enable anyone to play with it...
...or make a cheap but huge swarm of sensors, light & sound boards!

But you're right, it's still cool to add the re-soldering challenge with
the pic. So it currently has a pic16c505 (c=otp), we could change it to
pic16f505:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PIC16F505-I-SL-PIC16F505-16F505-Microcontrollers-MICROCHIP-IC-100-New-Free-shipping/1227581777.html

But there is another boring part, one of the programming pins (RB0) is not
connected to the pcb, so we'd have to design a box with pogo pins if we
want re-program the pic quickly (or we just solder a cable on the pin, but
that's not super clean/reliable).

Anyone interested in building a 3D printed box for that ?
Any other suggestion ?

Keep hackin'