[Noisebridge-discuss] a safe space, what does it mean to you?

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 21:52:27 UTC 2014

I've been asking this question a lot recently, and I think it's
particularly important in the context of noisebridge / sudoroom.  "Safe
space" has been used in a lot of contexts, sometimes in feminism, sometimes
in mental health, sometimes just on an individual level.   I've also been
getting variants in answers to this question, and I'm really interested in
what this means for you in the context of open communities like
hackerspaces.

I'd really love to hear your answer:  it doesnt have to be long or
complicated, just whatever comes to mind first, and feel free to email me
privately.  I may talk about general results at an upcoming 5mof or
something similar, but I'll maintain individual privacy and confidentiality
to whatever degree you desire.

1) what does safe space mean for you?
2) if you can think of a time where you felt safe and heard and creative /
productive at NB/SR, how were people treating you or others?    How did it
make you feel?
3) if you can think of a time where where felt unsafe at NB / SR, how were
people treating you or others?  How did it make you feel?

Much love,
Praveen