[Noisebridge-discuss] How to stream meetings and radio-shows

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 21:02:01 UTC 2014

On 1/15/2014 9:50:47 AM, "Tom Lowenthal" <me at tomlowenthal.com> wrote:
>Last night, we agreed that Tuesday evening meetings should be streamed
>in audio

Below are options for audio streaming meetings, events, radio shows,
interviews, music.

SPECS (our goals)
     -audio only (not video)
     -streaming only (not chat, not teleconferencing)
     -broadcast-quality (not telephone quality)
     -the number of live listeners will usually be miniscule to zero
(more people will listen to the archived streams)
     -simple, reliable, easy to configure and use
     -auto-archiving
     -no/low cost
     -ability to listen on any device, any stream player (vlc, winamp,
wmp, etc)
     -not NSA
     -fun, charming, weird, rube-goldberg, convoluted?

INFO:
     -fun overview of options: http://radioo.org

     -run our own server (greater likelihood of being dysfunctional)
     -use a hosted service (simpler, easier)

OWN SERVER OPTION:
     -icecast:    http://www.icecast.org/
     -shoutcast: http://www.shoutcast.com/broadcast-tools
     -kaltura:
http://www.kaltura.org/project/community_edition_video_platform
     -darwin: http://dss.macosforge.org/
     -freecast: http://www.freecast.org/
     -vlc media player (yes, you can stream from vlc):
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html
     -stream to android:
http://www.maketecheasier.com/install-vlc-shares-in-ubuntu-and-stream-videos-to-android/

-http://www.pcworld.com/article/190705/start_your_own_internet_radio_station_for_free.html

NON-SERVER (simple streaming app that runs on a non-server computer):
     -http://www.nch.com.au/streaming/index.html

HOSTED SERVICE OPTION:
     -http://www.caster.fm/free-shoutcast.php
     -http://www.listen2myradio.com/
     -http://myradiostream.com/
     -http://www.radionomy.com/en#!/en/static/createradio

BANDWIDTH:
     "If the file is stored on a server for on-demand streaming and this
stream is viewed by 1,000 people at the same time using a Unicast
protocol, the requirement is:
     300 kbit/s × 1,000 = 300,000 kbit/s = 300 Mbit/s of bandwidth
     This is equivalent to around 135 GB per hour."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media#Streaming_bandwidth_and_storage
     (but we will have so few listeners, that we need not worry about
bandwidth)

RADIO STATION SOFTWARE (ie radio-DJ software)
     -http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/

MICROPHONES
     -my recommended microphones (and best prices), and why a telephone
conferencing system is the wrong tool for streaming meetings:

https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/sound-hacks/2014-January/000141.html