[Noisebridge-discuss] Hack Agnostic Kit (HAK) started on Github

James Sundquist sundquistjames at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 16:42:40 UTC 2014

Hey all,

  I'm working out a series of scripts, or a "wrapper" if you will, to layer
on top of an existing Linux installation with all the necessary tidbits to
help a person be able to start hacking on their open source project
immediately in their current hackerspace (while minimizing setup time and
computer headaches).  I'll post up a working script by the middle of next
week and try to incorporate all feature requests.

   This can be portable, but for right now I'm focusing on Debian-based
distributions (Mint, Ubuntu, #!,  Tails, etc.) to get started.

How will it work?
Run a live CD such as Tails and run the wrapper to immediately set you up
with all necessary tools and scripts.  Save all the changes you like to
persistent storage (a thumb drive or hard disk) so you'll never have to
repeat the process.  Code hosted on
Github<https://github.com/sunjam/hak/wiki/Feature-Request>so you can
vet and fork it.

 Is this for a specific hackerspace?
No, my hope is that the idea will be incorporated by anyone needing a
little assistance with using open source tools.  I also see a lot of
confused people who cannot get on the wireless without assistance in their
local hackerspace.

Why do I need it?
Step into X hackerspace for the first time and get instant access to the
internet, open the most recent class notes, print a document on the
printer, and anything else you can imagine.

How can I help?
Submit your feature
requests<https://github.com/sunjam/hak/wiki/Feature-Request>and code
to Github.  Also, spread the word to any person or space who may
be interested.