[Noisebridge-discuss] Anti-Displacement Hack Nights at LOL! Resistance is Fertile! (for fwding)

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 22:43:23 UTC 2014

Hello Hackers, Activists, Designers, Policy Folks, Neighbors!

Our metropolis is under going rapid transformation.  From mass evictions in
the Mission, predatory real estate companies in West Oakland, targeted
campaigns to make whole neighborhoods safe for the ultra wealthy, massive
income inequality in the streets, and systemic race, gender and class gaps
in the tech community.

LOL is holding an open hack night for anti-displacement projects at 7pm
each Thursday this month.

 There are a lot of ongoing projects that need mapping, visualization, and
backend development -- One of which is aiming to plug holes in the Ellis
Act that is being debated in Sacramento right now.  In addition, we need
creative ideas in how data and information can translate to impact on the
streets.   If you are good with stats, numbers,
js/flash/lamp/rails/whatever stack you like, making pretty pictures, or
knowing what on the ground need, come by!  If you have expertise in housing
policy or community development policy also come by!   If you or someone
you know is facing displacement, come on by as a concerned community member!

One of our main projects that needs love is the Anti Eviction Mapping
Project, which is now making the rounds in Sacramento in order to provide
policy changes to the Ellis Act, and data visualization people can be extra
helpful here.

Liberating Ourselves Locally (LOL) is a gender balanced, person of color
led hack/collab/DIO space in East Oakland.  1234 23rd Ave, Oakland CA.
http://oaklandmakerspace.wordpress.com/directions/

Look forward to seeing you!
If you have any questions, please contact myself or erinmcel at gmail dot
com