[Noisebridge-discuss] Help for Venezuelan speaker at Five Minutes of Fame / mesh networking

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Thu Feb 20 05:35:42 UTC 2014

Some of you may remember Jose Luis Rivas, the Venezuelan Debian
developer and Internet advocate who spoke at Five Minutes of Fame a
few months ago.

If you've been following the news, Venezuela has been in a period of
unrest, with student protests throughout the country. Internet
censorship has increased, and I've just heard that that there's been
an Internet shutdown in the state of Tachira.

There's moves within the country to try and restore Net connectivity,
and also I heard moves by the government to create legal methods to
block and censor the Net (it's been pretty ad hoc until now).

Jose is @ghostbar on Twitter, and the Internet access movement is
https://twitter.com/accesolibreve  --  Jose asked if folks working on
emergency mesh networking and the like get in touch. I can make
introductions if people email me.

Thanks for listening, stay safe, and see you on Thursday, when I will
talk a little about this...

d.