[Noisebridge-discuss] JavaScript

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 20:24:39 UTC 2014

A long and comprehensive class. Last Friday.

We covered basic object property access with Arrays, Objects, and
Object.keys from ECMAScript 5.
[Object.keys] http://ecma-international.org/ecma-262/5.1/#sec-15.2.3.14

We covered closures, private static members, feature testing, host
objects and why ES5 (ECMA-262, r5) terminology of "host object" is
flawed and how ES6 addresses this with exotic objects [exotics].
[host objects] http://ecma-international.org/ecma-262/5.1/#sec-4.3.8
[es6 exotics] https://people.mozilla.org/~jorendorff/es6-draft.html#sec-exotic-object

Based off William's input, I created the live example [example] of a
closure-based factory using a one-off module pattern to show a good
place for one-off feature tests (private static, hidden in scope).
[live example] http://jsbin.com/luwoyupa/1/edit

We covered private instance members, shortening lookups by avoiding
the prototype chain and using the Factory Factory with a config
object:

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/JavaScript/Notes/Factory#Solution_II:_Replace_ArgumentList_with_Parameter_Object

Ended 25 minutes late with Master of Puppets [MOP].

Sunday's class (tomorrow) will cover simpler stuff, such as functions
and constructors.

[Feature Testing]
http://peter.michaux.ca/articles/feature-detection-state-of-the-art-browser-scripting

[MOP] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKhsTXoKCI

Apply these patterns to your own projects and please bring them in to share.

Thanks, everybody.
--
Garrett
@xkit