[Noisebridge-discuss] 90 Day "Ban" on banning people.

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 17:07:44 UTC 2014

I just want to assert that banning people isn't a sign of dysfunction for
an organization. I understand that there's an instinctive aversion to
excluding people, but if we do not bar people who assault, steal, an abuse
other people at the space, we are in effect banning their victims: people
won't put up with a hostile environment at Noisebridge and will leave.

I think point 1 on the "Geek Social Fallacies" site covers this well:
http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html

"Geek Social Fallacy #1: Ostracizers Are Evil

GSF1 is one of the most common fallacies, and one of the most deeply held.
Many geeks have had horrible, humiliating, and formative experiences with
ostracism, and the notion of being on the other side of the transaction is
repugnant to them.

In its non-pathological form, GSF1 is benign, and even commendable: it is
long past time we all grew up and stopped with the junior high popularity
games. However, in its pathological form, GSF1 prevents its carrier from
participating in -- or tolerating -- the exclusion of anyone from anything,
be it a party, a comic book store, or a web forum, and no matter how
obnoxious, offensive, or aromatic the prospective excludee may be."