[Noisebridge-discuss] "Banning" discussion tonight

Ronald Cotoni setient at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 18:21:17 UTC 2014

Thank you for your input Jake.  Thank you for trying to say I use consensus
as a weapon.  Read the meeting notes from the past few weeks and you can
see some of how that isn't true.   Regardless, I am going to explain how
the noisebridge space came into existence in my personal opinion even
though you were there since you may have forgot and are definitely out of
touch with current situations within Noisebridge.

Noisebridge started after a bunch of people went to Germany and various
other places in europe and saw their hackerspaced.  They said we can do
this too and they did.  That is how noisebridge was founded.  It''s ideals
are simple.  Be excellent and it is a doocracy.  Both are really simple.
 Both work extremely well when most of the people involved and around the
space care about the space and it's membership.  It also works best if
people are brought up properly to point out bad behavior and ask people to
politely stop.  What I mean by that is if I overhear someone being mean,
sexist or whatever, I should speak up even if it isn't me.  Unfortunately,
that is not how most people think on this side of the pond, we lost it
somewhere.  I have no idea where and it isn't really relevant to this
discussion.

Here is the problem.  Noisebridge would only need those two rules if we had
more excellent people around all the time promoting excellence, telling
people to stop poor behavior.  We don't have that.  When we had our first
ban of Patrick Keys, it was like pulling teeth to get this obviously toxic
person out of the community.  This drove some members away.  There were
others and other bans which drove more people away to start this lovely
space called Double Union.  This space can only have female identifying
members.  I think that is awesome but also sad.  We are the most open city
and generally ahead on most social problems yet noisebridge couldn't be a
safe enough spot.  This is a completely separate discussion.

Now back to noisebridge.  You say that Mitch has taken issue after learning
about it.  That is frustrating.  The idea of putting meeting notes and
consensus items online in a consistent place is for you as people who care
and love for noisebridge to look at it on a regular basis and make it known
via whatever means necessary that you do not want it to pass.  This
consensus item was put on there January 17th.  That is more than a month
ago, more than the time things normally take to go through consensus.  This
shows a failure on YOUR part, not anyone elses, that you did not spend
enough time in your very busy life to pay attention to noisebridge.  I am
sorry you are not a more excellent member.

The next part is consensus.  You do realize anything passed by consensus
can be reverted in as little as two weeks.  Literally just two weeks.  It
isn't hard.   Consensus is not a weapon, it is a method of trying new
things as a group and then reverting them if it doesn't work so well.  It
is really simple and straightforward.  This is how Laws are supposed to
work but don't for a variety of political bs reasons.  Perhaps the problem
is that there are politics in the space instead of logic.  Perhaps we
should amend consensus to include factual data before we make decisions.
 Perhaps we should have more mediation for people confronting their
harassers that they do not want to confront.  I have no idea.

I think you need to take a step back and perhaps you should rethink of your
involvement of noisebridge.  I think you can do more, even from Germany.
You could mediate every single ban since you never are in the space and are
a fairly neutral party.  Heck, you could organize with a hackerspace there
for us to find someone there to mediate for us and we can do the same for
them thus insuring neutrality.   What do you think about those ideas?
 Wanna do it?  I am totally down.

Ronald Cotoni
Systems Engineer