[Noisebridge-discuss] "Banning" discussion tonight

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Feb 26 20:54:22 UTC 2014

Right, it's easy to see how to avoid the situation now.  And I doubt
that specific failure will happen again!

But:

Any time there are rules, there will be edge cases where conforming to
the letter of a rule breaks the spirit of the rule.  If it is generally
agreed that spirit breakage is a problem, the usual solution is to make
another rule to handle the edge case.  And then another rule for the
edge case that the second rule missed, and so on.  See, for example, our
US legal system!

Maybe it's OK to have some bad "consensus" items?  Getting to consensus
was harder and took a lot longer when there was no rule about How, I do
recall.  People got tired of it and checked out.  That is obviously
still happening, but maybe it is happening less?

Ron, do you think it is a problem that so many people are objecting to
this consensus item after the fact?  I kinda hear "tough shit"
underneath your responses, have you got something better to offer?  I
don't have a better idea myself so maybe I should just shut up.

Rachel1.0