[Noisebridge-discuss] Let's use a Git repo to manage our massive, sprawling bureaucracy

Gregory Dillon gregorydillon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 18:48:25 UTC 2014

 is this a good idea before its time?   My perception is that many people,
even at Noisebridge, are not yet fluent and comfortable working with GIT /
GITHUB

     The concern then translates into people being excluded from full
participation by the lack of particular git skill.   So I'd suggest  an
education effort on GIT, and taking a temperature of the git level that
exists, and the git level needed for good implementation.  But yes, nice
idea, and good presentation of why it would be helpful.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Al Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Beat me to it. :) I was thinking of going through the wiki and finding all
> the policy related stuff that has passed consensus and putting it into a
> single wiki page, but a git repo is a better idea.
>
> Right now Noisebridge leans too much on oral tradition. It's about time we
> hack together a printing press.
>
> -Al
>

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Tom Lowenthal <me at tomlowenthal.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm Tom, and I enjoy the way that git allows for structured
>> modification to documents.
>>
>> tl;dr: I think we should use a git repository as the canonical version
>> of our policies and procedures.
>>
>> Over the past six months, we have reached consensus on several
>> proposals to change or tweak the way we do things. We've modified our
>> access policy, our membership process, the responsibilities of some of
>> the officers, and instituted an anti-harassment policy. These changes
>> are constructive; all have the intention of improving Noisebridge.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I have periodically had trouble, made errors, or
>> omitted things when trying to update our wiki pages to reflect
>> changes. I fear that the clerical errors I've made are symptomatic of
>> a general difficulty mentally applying new proposals to our current
>> policies, and have also exacerbated confusion.
>>
>> I propose that we use a git repo as the canonical location of these
>> documents. Proposals for change should come with a branch or fork
>> which can be merged to implement the desired change. Changes should
>> still occur only by consensus, and changes should still have a
>> human-readable summary. Each of the policies should continue to be
>> mirrored on the wiki, just not edited there.
>>
>> I'm happy to volunteer to get things working and help people start
>> using it, as well as to maintain & operate the system. I think that
>> operating such a system is a good responsibility to place on the
>> secretary in general.
>>
>> -Tom

Let's stay in touch.  Greg