[Noisebridge-discuss] Let's use a Git repo to manage our massive, sprawling bureaucracy

Tom Lowenthal me at tomlowenthal.com
Wed Jan 15 17:14:05 UTC 2014

Hello, I'm Tom, and I enjoy the way that git allows for structured
modification to documents.

tl;dr: I think we should use a git repository as the canonical version
of our policies and procedures.

Over the past six months, we have reached consensus on several
proposals to change or tweak the way we do things. We've modified our
access policy, our membership process, the responsibilities of some of
the officers, and instituted an anti-harassment policy. These changes
are constructive; all have the intention of improving Noisebridge.

Unfortunately, I have periodically had trouble, made errors, or
omitted things when trying to update our wiki pages to reflect
changes. I fear that the clerical errors I've made are symptomatic of
a general difficulty mentally applying new proposals to our current
policies, and have also exacerbated confusion.

I propose that we use a git repo as the canonical location of these
documents. Proposals for change should come with a branch or fork
which can be merged to implement the desired change. Changes should
still occur only by consensus, and changes should still have a
human-readable summary. Each of the policies should continue to be
mirrored on the wiki, just not edited there.

I'm happy to volunteer to get things working and help people start
using it, as well as to maintain & operate the system. I think that
operating such a system is a good responsibility to place on the
secretary in general.

-Tom