[Noisebridge-discuss] hackathon on Legal + Data Privacy in SF, Feb 8-9 weekend

j. clark iamjudic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 22:22:26 UTC 2014

Hi Noisebridge,

There's a *Data Privacy Legal Hackathon
<https://www.hackerleague.org/hackathons/data-privacy-legal-hackathon>*happening
Feb. 8-9, locally in San Francisco at the Mozilla offices on
Embarcadero. The entire hackathon has three locations:  SF, NYC and London,
all with the same format.

In San Francisco we're looking for hackers, makers, engineers, legal
scholars, and product folks interested in privacy and personal data issues
to participate in whatever way you'd like to. if you have an idea or want
to join an existing project team, that would be great! We also need mentors
for teams (smaller time commitment), or join us for presentations and
prizes at the end Sunday, from 4-6pm.

Did we mention that there are prizes?

The aim of this announcement is to fire up *a call to action to legally
hack data privacy*. We all know it's past time to collaborate and start
doing something about the state of privacy and personal data, including the
notice and consent work that some of our groups propose. As part of this
project, Open Notice is sponsoring a pre-hackathon project to create a
Legal Map<https://www.hackerleague.org/hackathons/data-privacy-legal-hackathon/hacks/pre-hackathon-project-creating-tools-to-hack-with>
for
hackers to use at the event. We are also working ton a project based on a
"use case" called the Consent Receipt
Scenario<https://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/infosharing/Scenario+1:++Common+Consent+Receipt?src=contextnavchildmode>
enable 'customisers' to control personal information. The links will take
you to the current state of that work.

Follow the links below to register, look at projects, and propose your own.
https://www.hackerleague.org/hackathons/data-privacy-legal-hackathon

If questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you!
Judi Clark, East Bay Maker Labs
and Mary Hodder, SF organizer