[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 23:09:43 UTC 2014

On 1/5/2014 10:14:51 PM, "Al Sweigart" <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:
>tl:dr; I disagree with every point you make.

Al, it seems impolite and illogical for you to say "Praveen, i did not
read your essay, and i disagree with every point you make."

>If political processes are always dominated by trolls and politicians,
>than consensus is a process that makes it easy for them.

+1

>cliquish and exclusive NB really is.

Nb should be cliquish-- hacker-clique.

>When people first come into Noisebridge, they are wowed by all the
>space and infrastructure we have freely available. It's only after a
>while they notice the clutter, the food left out, the missing basic
>tools in the shop, the filth, the mice, getting their phone stolen,
>creepy pervs, etc.
YES. Praveen, people who've never been to the space, or who've only
visited once or twice, is NOT a reliable data-set for the health of
on-going operations. (but it does demonstrate that people love the IDEA
of Noisebridge).

>The whole, "Well Noisebridge isn't for everyone" response I get is the
>biggest hypocrisy of the "radical inclusiveness" that the anarchist
>crowd says they abide by.
If they mean, Noisebridge isn't for non-hackers, i agree with them.

>"consensus is what they gave you to make you think you have a voice".
YES. +1

>Your "Noisebridge will be staring down the barrel of being gentrified
>out of the mission later in the year" is a hollow scare tactic.
Why, Al? The hood IS being gentrified. The whole city is. Rents are
going up. However, whether this will affect NB's rent or expenses, i do
not know.

Johny Radio
If you have to police the space, you're doing it wrong.