[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Gregory Dillon gregorydillon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 00:51:59 UTC 2014

Not trying to answer for Johny, but five years ago shows the calendar was
walking up to the inauguration of President elect Barack Obama and the
winds carried the messages of change and hope.  The country was also facing
a near spiral into a depression. Jobs were being lost.

Today, five years later, things associated with coding and technology are
hot in San Francisco.   Tech, which is related to the core of Noisebridge,
is being blamed for the "gentrification" of the Mission District: and this
presents different opportunities for Noisebridge, and perhaps
responsibilities, than the environment of five years ago.

Putting aside the blame game, there are a lot of good people in technology
who very open and wanting to sharing their skills.   The Noisebridge
 infrastructure is a natural place for that to happen.   People learning
server, coding and other technology skills in a low cost way at Noisebridge
may be a function that is is fitting today, in a way that didn't fit the
time of five years ago.

Also,there are possibilities for Noisebridge to be an agent to smooth out
 some of the abrupt dislocation pains of "gentrification" Noisebridge
without become an NGO  providing shelter beds.   It could solicit hosting
code hackathons for creating tools that  today's developers are doing great
things with - opening up data for examination in way that a could not be
done before, and - connecting needs with resources with ways that didn't
happen previously.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Johny Radio <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Please re-read my statement. I said "may".
>

> On 1/6/2014 3:31:42 PM, "James Sundquist" <sundquistjames at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >we need to *really* branch out and connect with all the people who have
> >long since left nb-discuss or long since left nb itself. Yes, but also
> realize that the demographics of SF and the hood are changing. Some things
> that made sense for nb 5 years ago may no longer apply.
>
> Johnny, what things no longer apply after 5 years?

Let's stay in touch.  Greg