[Noisebridge-discuss] a couple of things from the meeting today, on consensus and time

Dana dana-lists at sonic.net
Wed Jan 8 07:38:31 UTC 2014

I'm putting this idea out there as people seemed intrigued by it at the
meeting! This is the consensus process we used when I lived in a large
housing cooperative (~30 people at any given time), which I don't think
is terribly uncommon:

We had weekly meetings and managed by consensus similar to Noisebridge.
Agree, stand-aside, block. Three stand-asides or a block (uncommon)
stopped a proposal from moving forward.

When an issue could not find resolution (meaning it was brought up
multiple times and blocked) it would come up at a quarterly membership
meeting, where it would require a 75% super majority to pass. In the
several years I lived there this happened only 3 or 4 times, the vast
majority of contentious issues were resolved before coming to a vote.

(I also think if NB adopts something like this, it's worth looking at
the membership process and possibly erasing the distinction between
members and associate members.)