[Noisebridge-discuss] Lockers

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 19:06:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Johny Radio <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Dean
>
> I appreciate your dialog.
>
> On 1/7/2014 10:48:45 PM, "Dean Mao" <dean.mao at hackerdojo.com> wrote:
>
> So as others have noted, it was discussed before.  For example, Al
> mentioned it here back in July 2011:
> https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-July/024037.html From
> that discussion it seemed like most people were in favor for it.
>

> Al himself, and the others who create the Lockers page on the nb wiki,
> concluded that, at that time, the community did NOT favor lockers. See
> Noisebridge.net/Lockers. Also, July 2011 is 2 1/2 years ago. Pretty long
> time.

I wouldn't read too much into the wiki. There weren't people who were
against lockers in my memory, it just didn't have much support. And I think
there were some people against Noisebridge using it's own money to pay for
them.

>  We've also arrested a few individuals who went overboard and started
> stealing stuff.
>

> Noisebridge doesn't do that. NB has a culture of anti-police. I recall
> that NB outing countless thieves in the past three years, but I'm not aware
> that NB theives have reason to fear arrest.

Some people at NB are against involving the police in the space, other
people have actually called the police into the space. But yeah, I think
even when stealing is caught people don't file a police report. (Which I
think that's irresponsible.)

>  There's probably 10 "no-sleeping" signs all over the Hacker Dojo because
> we've had so much problems with it.
>

> You guys are doing a better job than NB. If we have even one such sign, i
> never noticed it. Maybe Noisebridge should ask Danny for advice too.

I've put up "no sleeping" signs at the space before. People anonymously
vandalize them or rip them down. There's been a small one on the pole above
the couches for a while though.

>  These people don't use the lockers because they can't -- you need to be
> a member in order to reserve a locker.
>

> That's not Al's locker policy. His locker page says "To provide a somewhat
> secure way for members AND OTHERS to store tools, equipment, and long-term
> projects at the space." See noisebridge.net/Locker_Protocol<https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Locker_Protocol>
>
> If we take out the "and others" part, that might be better.

Currently I wanted to make the lockers available to everyone, but we can
bring this up for discussion at a meeting or in a separate mailing list
thread.