[Noisebridge-discuss] hacking parking meters at Noisebridge

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Tue Jun 10 14:19:34 UTC 2014

> FYI, a couple of non-members (looking at the fact they didn't have the
> door code) brought in a parking meter into NB. They're pretty excited by
> the fact it has quarters in it.

What kind of parking meter? Was it a local parking meter? How was it obtained?

Possession of a parking meter per se isn't a crime. Stealing a locally
active one probably isn't a good idea and is likely a crime. Poking at
one on the street is a grey area, depending on the poking. The SF DPT
were friendly when we broke the smart card system a few years ago.

That research on the SF parking meters is still online:

  http://www.grandideastudio.com/portfolio/smart-parking-meters/

Hacking on parking meters to understand the machines that rule our
streets is totally excellent and lots of fun. Stealing an active meter
for quarters isn't, obviously.

All the best,
Jacob