[Noisebridge-discuss] Let's talk about: "Responsibilities" section

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 09:37:43 UTC 2014

There's a lot of talk on the mailing list about the latest board policies.
I'd like to focus on segments individually so that discussion can happen
about which parts people agree with an which parts people don't.

Do not be mistaken: the membership still has the power to change
Noisebridge policy with a 2/3 consensus. Policies are not written in stone
and are open to change, just as they have always been.

This thread concerns the "Responsibilities" section on
https://github.com/noisebridge/bureaucracy/blob/master/membership.md which
reads:

=====
Responsibilities

1. A member must remit dues to the treasurer on or before the first day of
each calendar month. The treasurer may specify what reasonable means
members must use to remit their dues.
2. A member must ensure that the Secretary has accurate contact information
for them. Contact information includes at minimum an email address at which
the member can reliably be contacted.

A member who complies with these requirements is in good standing. If there
is any requirement with which a member does not comply, they are
delinquent. The treasurer shall notify the secretary whenever a member is
delinquent in paying their dues.
=====

My commentary: I'm okay with this. I'd like some language like "members
late up to one week may still have rights to access the space" or something
like that just so members feel assured they can still visit the space even
if they forgot their dues.