[Noisebridge-discuss] All I want is 51% :)

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 19:00:15 UTC 2014

Really, I just want the membership to be able to pass/block things based on
majority vote. If we got that, there'd be no need for me to be on the board
and I'd resign. All the other stuff in those proposals from the board I'm
either neutral about or don't think they were deal-breakers.

It's not that all of Noisebridge's problems would be solved if we got rid
of consensus, it's that all of Noisebridge's problems would become
_solvable_.

Consensus is what lets a single person walk in to a meeting an hour or two
late and block something that would have otherwise passed. Talk about what
"true" consensus is supposed to be, but this is what it is in practice and
has been for the last five years. My thoughts have been that most members
are against things like people sleeping and living at the space, but
they've been kept from fixing those problems because it only takes one
person to veto any changes.

But if a majority of people (even at this point, when a lot of people have
left NB or are staying away (see also, Double Union)) wanted things like
sleep hacking and consensus, I'd just agree to disagree but acknowledge
that that is what Noisebridge wants.

-Al