[Noisebridge-discuss] Rachel's language

Callme Whatiwant nejucomo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 23:22:28 UTC 2014

Johny: I haven't seen in this thread or anywhere else in my scant
coverage of noisebridge that you acknowledge that you've crossed
Rachel's boundary with respect to private email.

I *have* seen that you felt your email was justified, that Rachel's
boundary is inconsistent, that your behavior is "reasonable", etc...
The problem, for me, is that I can't really "hear" those things and
get behind you if you don't acknowledge the fact that there's a
boundary and that you've crossed it.  So the way I see it,
acknowledging that you crossed a boundary is probably the most
effective way you can garner support.  Do you see that, or do you
disagree?  I'm interested to hear either way.

Rachel: I don't know you, or Johny, or either of your histories very
much, so when I see you call someone a "gnat" I lose confidence that
if I were to cross one of your boundaries I wouldn't be insulted or
verbally attacked.  You seem like someone who values inclusiveness,
and I'm wondering if you see a contradiction?

Also, I respect the strategy of publishing private email that violates
boundaries as a way to maintain safety in this community, but throwing
an insult into the mix poisons the very safety such a strategy can
bring.  Would you agree, or do you see it differently?

Everyone else:  Who cares if Rachel previously posted her request
somewhere?  It's not like there's a magic ubiquitous Boundary
Declaration Protocol where we all look at the right wiki page or email
sig and then everyone *knows and never violates any other person's
boundaries*.

Everyone has all kinds of unique boundaries.  We cross one another's
boundaries all the time!  That's life.  What's important is that we
see, acknowledge, and have an intention to respect boundaries moving
forward.

It seems like the whole debate about whether or not a boundary "is
known" is to put Johny's intention and good faith on trial.  IMO, his
intention is irrelevant.  He either acknowledges he crossed a boundary
or he does not.  Life is much simpler when I rely on people's words
and actions instead of foolishly attempting to read their minds (in an
email thread, no less).