[Noisebridge-discuss] Please Note: Bureaucracy Changes Reverted

Madelynn Martiniere mmartiniere at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 00:15:41 UTC 2014

The board of directors has reverted the changes to /bureaucracy until further discussion with the greater Noisebridge can be had. Policies to add required discussion periods are also in motion within the board to make sure that incidents like this do not occur again. Given the gravity of this decision, this is a one-time exception, not a precedent.

I believe Naomi put it best in a previous post to the list:

"This "active board" thing is in its infancy.  We only just decided at the ONE meeting we have had so far, what the rules of engagement and proper process were.

Were we supposed to have gotten it right on the first try?  No.

Could I have imagined that the insanity that transpired this first week would ever take place?  Hell no."

The decision to have the board take an active role I think is a pivotal one in improving some the issues that Noisebridge has been facing increasingly over the years. But neither I, nor the rest of the board, have any intention of disempowering the membership, turning Noisebridge into a dictatorship, or any of the language I have heard used over the last few days. We want to be in service to the membership, not to rule over it.

My offer to have a productive dialogue with anyone who has feedback on this process still stands.

Cheers,
Madelynn