[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge / the door is fucked up

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 17:27:42 UTC 2014

Jake and all,

I understand your frustration, because it's one I've had too. I think that
there are a few people at Noisebridge who like it being a clubhouse or a
place with free rent (but only for their friends, not the general public,
of course) and use consensus so that they can prevent anyone from changing
this. For all the anarchist rhetoric, Noisebridge is the most conservative
organization I've ever been a part of.

People sleeping overnight at the space has been a problem FOR YEARS.
People living out of the space and storing their personal things there has
been a problem FOR YEARS.
Being unable to get rid of people who abuse and steal from others or
regularly get stoned/drunk/loud/unexcellent has been a problem FOR YEARS.

The bylaws of Noisebridge (our Constitution, as it were) state that the
board of directors makes all the executive decisions for the organization.
It's just that the board has deferred to the consensus process in the past.
I believe this is precisely why these problems are so hard to fix,
including when I served on the board in 2011.

Members have gotten tired of this, which is why a board that wants to take
a more active hand in stopping these abuses has been voted in.

Jake, I know we're going to have to start proving ourselves with deeds
instead of just words, but you're a great contributor to the space. Making
Noisebridge more welcoming to hackers like you is exactly what we want to
do in 2014.