[Noisebridge-discuss] why would hackers come to noisebridge?

Hannah Grimm dharlette at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 18:44:56 UTC 2014

As someone who reads and votes on Double Union membership applications, I
can tell you right now that the single most common phrase we see on them is
"I went to Noisebridge...once."

Almost all of these women tried Noisebridge first, and didn't feel welcome
here.  And there are a LOT of them.  They came out of the woodwork so fast
that we had to shut down applications after just a few months.  Double
Union can't take them all in, our space is just too small.  So, if you
think we need more members, there's a giant untapped market of really
passionate, active people who want this.  Make Noisebridge more welcoming
to women and you'll fill rosters fast.

Oh, and by the way: referring to us as "females" is generally one of those
signals that tend to make women go "NOPE!"  It's also not, strictly
speaking, accurate; DU has a lot of trans women who feel pretty alienated
by that term.