[Noisebridge-discuss] [Drama] Fwd: [Noisebridge-announce] Important Noisebridge Procedural Changes

Dana dana-lists at sonic.net
Wed Mar 26 14:59:42 UTC 2014

I've seen a co-op and several non-profits fail up close, this looks like
end-stage, not a turn around.

Noisebridge is broken, but I'm skeptical that these actions will fix it.
Instead I foresee more acrimonious squabbles, a further hollowed out
membership and community, a space even less capable of supporting
itself.

In wake of mentioned failures I've thought long and hard about how
things might have happened differently. I honestly don't know if any of
those orgs could turn around, I'm not sure if Noisebridge can, but I
think I did learn how a board-driven reboot might be more likely to
succeed:

Find proposals with large community buy in, expedite them (I can think
of half a dozen that have been floating around NB). Be open and
transparent about your actions and process; do solicit and consider some
feedback before you implement changes. Err on the side of caution, but
recalibrate as necessary. Rebuild the organization in a way that
reflects the good in the values and culture, not as something entirely
different.

I feel like I'm watching a bad re-run. So long discuss :-/