[Noisebridge-discuss] In Defense of Consensus

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:33:40 UTC 2014

------ Original Message ------
From: "Matthew Senate" <mattsenate at gmail.com>
To: "Johny Radio" <johnyradio at gmail.com>

>Why was the Noisebridge mission written? Why were the By-Laws made, and
>the board of directors formed? I can tell you that the board exists
>because it was a hack--a necessary hack in order to continue existing
>in the current dominant system. To incorporate. To file paper work. To
>become a federal 501(c)3.

Excellent observation. So then, that stuff about being a "technology
infrastructure" is not true. Heh, and i actually believed it all along
:D

>Any participant who contributed to breaking an oscilloscope should be
>held accountable

that's a criminalizing stance i don't agree with. Stuff breaks, it's
normal. Usually broken by someone who does not know how to use it
properly, so that's the last person you'd want fixing it.

>there should be an easy system to replace infrastructure speedly

glad we agree on that! I'm suprised, since you don't feel "efficiency"
is of greatest importance.

>Purchase order wiki page? Reimbursements for low-cost items? Internal
>insurance process for high-cost items?

Hurray! When do we start :)

>However, in my opinion, for those things that could not easily be
>sorted on their own, if all else fails, an ultimately democratic
>consensus process should be used.
>
>>sudo room is an open, collaborative community of creators and
>>practitioners working toward positive social change. sudo room chooses
>>to:
>>
>>Value open, public discourses over closed, proprietary processes.
>>Value access and transparency over exclusivity. Value solving real
>>problems over hypotheticals, while respecting visions of the future.
>>Value community and collaboration over isolation and competition.
>>Value human judgment over automation and efficiency. Value do-ocracy
>>over bureaucracy. Value safe space over ideology.

would be helpful if NB had a "real" mission statement like that -- in
addition to the fake legal one.

jr