[Noisebridge-discuss] reminder - assume good faith

Callme Whatiwant nejucomo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:44:16 UTC 2014

Coming out of the woodwork:

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> wrote:
> Something I have always found effective is to act as if I believe the other
> person is acting in good faith.  This works really really well because it
> lets them see that *I* am acting in good faith, and builds trust.  It is
> also usually true.  Mostly people ARE acting in good faith from their own
> point of view.  The most likely reason for someone to act in bad faith is
> that someone is accusing them of acting in bad faith (insults them, claims
> they're trolling, etc).

This here is artful hacking.  This is an emotional skill which is
tangible.  I can use this skill even without the knowledge or consent
of others, which, as a fan of anarchy, is the best kind of skill.

Thanks, Rachel1.0 for rocking.

> Possible good faith POVs for some of the main talkers here:
>
> Al - has been trying for YEARS to fix the terrible problems at Noisebridge,
> more persistently than just about anyone else, and finally has some actual
> means of getting something done
>
> Naomi - dedicated to her responsibilities as a board member and deeply
> worried about the new board having bypassed her on a decision
>
> Jake A, Mitch - sad and hurt that the organization they founded is moving so
> far from the path they started it on
>
> Spinach, Johny, Rachel H - have strong moral and ideological beliefs that
> they work towards in all areas of their lives, fearless of others' censure
>
> A really important point is that everyone involved is incredibly dedicated
> to Noisebridge, which is wonderful.
>
> Note that there are other good faith POVs that all of these people might
> have - I have simply invented some that fit their behavior as I see it.
>
> And another thing, for those who think the above is naive.  Even if I don't
> really believe in someone's good faith, I will pretend to - that way they
> get plausible deniability, and they can *start* acting in good faith now and
> we don't get bogged down in accusations.  SO much faster and easier.

It's interesting that you anticipate NB-types would believe this is
naive, rather than practical.  This also fits my intuition of
skeptical hackers, but I'm not certain why.

I'd love to learn from anyone who believes this is naive as to why
they believe that.