[Noisebridge-discuss] class / community giving idea: Build Your Own Computer

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:00:27 UTC 2014

Hi everybody,

I had an idea that might inspire some of you.  It's inspiring to me,
although there are some ducks that would have to be lined up for this
to work.

The idea for this class would be to help people put together a working
computer, from scratch, using parts that were donated to Noisebridge.

I always love being able to come away from a class with something
tangible -- I think that's one of the reasons Circuit Hacking Mondays
continues to be a hit.

So the idea here would be to get people who probably haven't had the
experience of building a computer from parts, before, and help them do
so.

AND I thought it would appeal to both Noisebridge and to the class
attendees to have the option of donating the built computer to a
nearby shelter, nonprofit, school, etc.

Prep work would have to include:

* Sorting donations and setting aside as many intact PC components as possible.

* Keeping the hack shelves relatively organized (a B- grade would be
sufficient).

* Checking the compatibility of the available components to make sure
no one ends up needing a PCI video card that isn't in evidence (for
example).

* All the usual things that go into a class (getting the word out,
setting the schedule, etc).

This idea may not be doable right away, given the general
disorderliness of the hack shelves and the question of what we
actually have on hand.

But I am going to keep this idea in mind in the event that we receive
a large-ish donation and the opportunity becomes clear.

If this idea appeals to you, too, let me know, or comment on this
list.  If you feel the need to reply anything of the form, "we've
tried this before", or "what a joke"... don't.

Cheers,
Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most