[Noisebridge-discuss] Problem: people seeing NB as a backup shelter

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Sun May 11 14:06:46 UTC 2014

I was just thinking that one could set up a surround sound system hooked up to an RTSP device encircling the perp and start blasting Chop Suey ("WAKEUP! GRABABRUSHANDPUTALITTLEMAKEUP!"). You don't need to be anywhere near the unfortunate soul, and I would definitely consider it to be "sleep-hacking."

But really - yes, the addition of RFID doesn't prevent these issues. (In fact, as Henner and I sat in Turing yesterday to discuss the specifics, two people were sitting near the kitchen counting sheep and We Did Nothing.) But it sends a signal that NB is slightly more serious about access control, and, well, it's fun to hack these solutions together.

I think if we're able to demonstrate a working RFID solution for the main door and elevator door, it will be that much easier to propose what will need to be a change in rules: the re-introduction of members-only hours (but for associates, too). That will be the final hurdle preventing this system from actually going live.

Once members-only hours are reinstated, there's nothing that's stopping associate and full members from exercising their power to remove non-members from the space, just like they should have been doing the last time this was attempted, and should he doing now with the "unvouched". But an actual computer-controlled change in how the space operates would help to reinforce that these rules are officially in effect.

This probably requires consensus, though, and I think we should do all we can regarding building this system that DOESN'T require consensus first. I'm guessing it's much easier to argue for a change when the infrastructure is in place, instead of it just being a pipe dream.

Soooo... about that Security WG meeting.
Jeffrey