[Noisebridge-discuss] [Rack] RFID tag research

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Mon May 12 05:49:11 UTC 2014

On 11 May 2014 12:53, Naomi Most <pnaomi at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are deeper issues beyond the possibility of possibly corrupting
> a card (and yeah, mistakes do happen).

It should be hard to destroy the clipper card with write operations as
these actually require some encryption scheme (for the type the clipper
card is) for which we don't have the key.

For instance, do we want to end up giving anyone the impression that
> we might, even for a second, be collecting sensitive personal data?

Yes, reading is the problem. Reading the clipper card actually reveals
current balance, recent trips and recent recharges. So if we ever offer to
use the clipper card as authentication device, people need to be aware that
this information _can_ be read; that we don't do it and log it anywhere,
but that they need to be aware of this possibility to make an informed
choice.

-h